October 29: Mission Sunday!
One of the movies I still enjoy is The Blues Brothers, staring the late John Belushi and Dan Aykroyd. They play Jake and Elwood Blues, brothers who believe they have a divine appointment to reassemble their band, play a one-night-only benefit concert, and save the Catholic home in which they grew up.
You and I have a mission as well, given to us by Jesus. John’s gospel records that mandate:
“A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”
The way that Jesus loved us was selflessly, sacrificially, there was a cost involved. Our love and service for one another follows that pattern.
There are hundreds of ways to love and serve others daily. We just need to have our eyes open and ask God to show us.
And sometimes those opportunities are place right in front of us! Sunday, October 29th has been designated Mission Sunday at Good Shepherd. In the gym, between services, there will be a “Mission Fair” with representatives from our local and global mission partners.
This is a time to learn and discover. This is a time to ask God how you or your family might serve.
- Perhaps through buying stock in animals through Heifer International (Yes, the animals will be here!)
- Perhaps by volunteering to tutor at Rising Tide or The Way Out, or committing to sort food at Grateful Hearts
- Perhaps by becoming a Pray-er or a financial supporter of one of our missionaries
Here are a couple encouragements to help ensure this is a successful and meaningful morning for all:
- Please consider carpooling and/or parking on the streets in front of or behind the church. Our parking lot will be busy!
- If you are a second worship service person, set your alarms and plan to come early! The Mission Fair is only between services (10:00-11:00 am) so give yourself time.
How wonderful to partner with others in the Mission of God! Please plan to join us on October 29th.
In the joy of Christ,